This healthy bake is packed with fibre and protein, and is a great alternative to a meat dish, not only for vegetarians, but as an option to lighten the load on the digestive system.
• 1/2 cup brown rice
• 1/2 cup red lentils
• 2 cups vegetable stock
• 1 onion
• 1 courgette
• 1 pepper (red or yellow)
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 tin of tomatoes
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 handfuls of grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
1. Chop all the vegetables and put into oven proof ceramic dish.
2. Wash lentils and brown rice, Mix in with vegetables.
3. Poor over stock, tinned tomatoes and olive oil.
4. Add thyme and season with salt and pepper. Mix everything in the dish well then cover with foil.
5. Bake at 180 degrees C for 50 mins.
6. Remove foil, top with cheese then place under grill for 5 mins till golden brown.
Serve with spinach, tomato and walnut salad:
• Baby spinach
• Walnuts chopped
• Dressing – 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp honey, salt and pepper.
Nutritional recipe brought to you by our Personal Trainer, Katie Brighton-Jones