This warming casserole is hearty but not heavy – a very satisfying winter dish.
• 1 medium chicken
• 175gms chorizo chopped
• 1 tin tomatoes
• 400gms of butter beans (soak and cook if using dried)
• 1 onion
• 2 garlic cloves
• 1 stock of celery
• 1 medium carrot
• 2 bay leaves
• 275ml chicken stock
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• Pinch saffron
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 2 thyme springs
• 2 large red bell peppers
• 1 pack of feta cheese
• Quick cook polenta
1. Start by chopping all the vegetables ready to cook.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan, add garlic and onion sweat for a couple of minutes then add the celery and carrot. Cook turning until softening and golden brown. Then add the chorizo cook for a further couple of minutes.
3. Transfer to a casserole dish adding the tomatoes, stock, paprika and saffron. Then quickly brown the chicken and place on top of the vegetables. Push bay leaves and thyme into the casserole mix.
4. Place in oven at 160 °C in a fan oven, (180 otherwise). Place lid on and cook for 1.5hrs.
5. Meanwhile carefully char the peppers over a flame until skin blackens, leave to cool and then remove the skin and slice into strips.
6. Remove the chicken from the casserole sauce and check it is cooked through, then debone and return the chicken meat to the sauce.
7. Make up the polenta – 1 part polenta to 4 parts water, bring to boil and simmer for 3 mins stirring constantly. Season well.
8. Serve polenta topped with chicken and chorizo casserole, peppers and crumbled feta. Add some wilted spinach or steamed kale on the side if you would like a green kick!
Nutritional recipe brought to you by our Personal Trainer, Katie Brighton-Jones